Jan 24, 2012

Smucker's Jewel Box Cookies

Instead of doing a photo or whatever. I am going to tell you how to make cookies! Why? Because their delicious! You can find the recipe off of smucker's website (that's where I got it from).

Ingredients:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons for All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter SOFTENED. (Take it out a few hours before you bake).
1 large egg yolk, beaten.
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of your favorite jam or preserves.

Directions:
1. COMBINE:
                       Flour and sugar in a large bowl. Cut butter with a pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Add beaten egg yolk* and vanilla. Mix Until dough holds together.**
2. SHAPE:
                     shape into small balls using half teaspoonfuls (I don't do that. I just make random size balls). Place 1-inch apart on cookie sheet. Make small identation in center of each cookie. Chill for 20 Minutes (put it in the Fridge).

3. HEAT:
                  Heat oven to 350 degree F. Fill each cookie with a scant 1/4 teaspoon of jam, jelly or preserves (I don't do that either. I just put how much I think is enough). Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until just golden around the edges.

*For those who don't know how to get just the egg yolk, you crack it over the sink and let the non yolk parts drip. You might have to touch it and pull it off. When you think it's done dripping put the yolk in a small bowl and beat!

** When mixing, you can either do it by hand or use a electric mixer. I use the electric mixer because it makes its a lot faster to make the dough type thing into crumbs. When you shape them, you are going to think that your doing it wrong (or at least thats what I thought anyways...), but just play with the dough when until you get nice rounded balls.

And that's it! Quick huh? Oh yeah... Prep time is 20 minutes, and cook time is 12 minutes. It supposedly yields 6 dozen, but I usually just get around the 20s even when I double the recipe. Maybe it's because I don't use half teaspoons... hahaha... Anyway. ENJOY!
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment